When I was walking to my sewing class earlier today, I turned the corner from our apartment building and came across a cow standing particularly protectively over a small lump of a calf laying on the quite empty dirt road. Upon walking closer, I realized just how precious the little event was. The little calf had JUST been born; it was still shiny and wet from the sac and other birthing materials. It hadn't even gotten up yet. Knowing that cows are regarded as holy and they have free roam of the streets, I had mixed feelings of hope and excitement for the little one. To be born into such a hectic place where surely cows aren't adapted to live, with a main diet of garbage and a habitat of cement floor and people, was a mixed omen. It would be on the plus side to be off limits for consumption, so that part was definitely on his side.
The most beautiful part was just the contrast of such a small, beautiful creature, so new and clean, untouched by this place yet, and about to enter this new world. Away from it's mama, roaming the streets, a hard and yet very safe at the same time type of life.
I wished him luck as I passed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lee,
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time since finally getting the link to your blog that I had time to read everything. Many alarming moments, strung together with some great adventures. I think my favorite was when you and Wendy were seduced into joining the wedding dance. I don't even want to mention the unmentionable worst of your experiences. Nuff said. Throughout, I was impressed with your writing and narrative skills. Hope you're still having fun. Cathy