Tomorrow marks the date of a rather festive Hindu holiday, Holi. Apparently the main goal of the date is to rid one's self of demons and bad things. Tonight, Tuesday night, is when the tradition of many large bonfires takes place. Then, the crazy festivities begin tomorrow. The object: color. Little children run around with squirt guns filled with liquid color and squirt passersby. Others jump in mud pits, get covered with mud, cover themselves completely from head to toe with color (which can be powder, paint, who knows what else), and then proceed to become unrecognizable. You've got two options, really. You stay inside and hide, or go out and get completely rainbow-ified. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.
The image above shows Wendy and I with only a sample of what's to come - and we were clobbered a couple of days before the holiday. At the university, I think being colored by other students is expected, just like getting valentines at school before valentine's day. When we were walking home, though, some people on a motorbike were covered with the stuff abruptly stopped and colored us some more. I think we'll be targets, because we stand out so much (being foreigners and what not!). Yay for Holi... :]

hay lee this is dan I just wanted to get back in touch. and i got to be honest im a little jelous now, i had no clue you were in india. thats amazing! i read through your blog and got even more jelous, ill talk to you when you get back to the states have fun and you can allways email me.
ReplyDelete