Thursday, March 5, 2009

Much since last time

It's been a few weeks since I've last posted!
A lot of the last two weeks was simply living in Baroda, going to my sewing class at the university, and working on my independent studies from school. Since last Thursday or Friday, though, we've pretty much been traveling.
Last Thursday our family embarked on an overnight trip up to Patan, a smaller city of 110,000 people that is known for its weaving. Believe it or not (heh. LUCKY US) the town had only one hotel. And boy. What a gem it was. My brother and I had no air conditioning in our room, only ceiling fans. Now, don't get me wrong. We're not completely wimpy foreigners who have to stay in the Plaza every where we go. Our standards are pretty modest - clean sheets, clean towels, a shower, running water. Unfortunately... that didn't exactly play out. The clean towel situation was pretty good. Other than that, though, the hotel needed some help. The sheets had darker dirt spots on them, along with a few various other stains. There was no shower, only a bucket and an outlet from the wall. And... yeah. The sink didn't produce a flow of water. It was very charming. I myself witnessed multiple bugs crawling across my bad at one point, and flicked them off. I didn't think too much of it. That night as I slept, I was drenched in sweat and felt like a million small teeny bugs were crawling over me. It was the worst night of sleep I've had here.
We visited a few landmarks and a few weavers, the normal expedition for us. One especially interesting event came up this time, however. As we were driving to a specific weaver's home, we came across a jam in the narrow road - a wedding procession. Somehow or other, they convinced us to get out of our car and join in the event. At first, I was hesitant. Soon, after watching the excitement from afar, Wendy and I were pulled into the front portion - the dancing circle. It was very much like a rip tide, in that once you were in, you couldn't leave. I started off my first few seconds as awkwardly standing there, and then I just danced. I didn't exactly have an option, the other dancing folks in their nice shirts and saris pretty much pushed me into it. Soon, I thought nothing of it. They didn't speak English, and I didn't know Hindi. I hadn't a clue what the music was saying - I wasn't positive what was going on. But, the experience in and of itself was incredible. To share a special moment such as a marriage ceremony witht these people was really great. It was definitely a trip highlight for me thus far (even though it lasted only 5 minutes). It was brilliant :]
We then returned home later that day, Friday, and hung around Baroda for a day and a half. On Sunday, we departed for Kulkata (Calcutta... both spellings are used) for a Fulbright conference. A large chunk of time (ok, most all of the time) in Kulkata was devoted to the conference. We didn't get out too much. Once a day or so, we'd get out for a few hours. The time for exploration was greatly savored. On the first night, my family and a couple Fulbright friends embarked on a trip to a neighboring bar from the hotel in attempt to find cheaper beer (Gujarat is a dry state, and so the beer drinkers decided to take full advantage of the available liquor while they could). The bar we ended up at was extremely odd. Odd, in fact, to the point of making me a bit scared and uncomfortable. As we first entered, there was a door on the left with a fellowing blocking the enterance and loud music coming from within. We were quickly escorted away to the back room. (When we were leaving later, we saw this first door briefly open and we noticed that all of the people were a) men, b) facing the same direction, and c) had a plastered face of amusement. We pretty much concluded it was a stripper room.) In this back room, there was a small band and a group of girls who sang for the band - each, one by one. At first, the scene appeared to be your regular bar and entertainment. Then, we started to notice some peculiar tidbits. For one, staff members and bar partrons alike continuously brought money up to the girls who were singing. For another, after each girl would sing, she'd go sit down. Then, after a bit, we'd look back to where she was and she'd be gone. There was a side door off to the right of the stage there, and you could see men coming and going. On occasion if you looked at the exact moment, you could see one of the girls coming or going (adjusting their clothes and hair) or peeking our the door. Then, they'd come back. The men in the bar (the girls in our group, including myself, were the only women in the place besides the singing girls) continuously flirted with the girls sitting up there. The whole scene was completely crazy. This second room... we pretty much concluded to be working girls (aka prostitutes, whatever one wants to call them).
That was definitely the highlight of Kulkata.
Being at the conference itself was just odd because here we were, a group of Americans doing research in southern Asia, and we were staying at an expensive (and I mean expensive, fancy) five star hotel with free bar and 3 meals a day. It didn't add up. I felt (as I have every day since I've arrived, but in a much different way) like I was living a dream. Not exactly a good feeling, I can tell you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment