Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mhmmmm. Mmmmmmm.

If someone asked me about the food here, I'd have a multitude of responses. I suppose my initial response would be somewhat bleak; the constant stomach pain, diarrhea, potential for food poisoning, and the everpresent quantity of hair found in my lamb really turns me off the chow. The constant fear of a foodbourne illness is there, too.

At the same time, though, the last two months have probably been my best eating months in my last 15 years of living. The mutton, the chicken, the fish (on occasion), the dal, the roti, the soup, THE ICE CREAM. It's been a complete party. The highlight of my day is the delectible feast that happens. The fear of dying from consumption of some bacteria is instantly stun-gunned as soon as the food hits the table. I devour, and I like it.

Through all of the completely amazing food, though, is the FRUIT. I swear, if I could share with you the quality, quantity, price, and general amazingness of the fruit, and even the produce in general, I would do it in a heartbeat. The most expensive fruit at home is still expensive here - well, "expensive". A kilo of mango can be purchased for $1.20. That's about what we pay for one mango at home. So... 5 to 6 mangos for the price of one. And not only the price. Though the fruit is still hit and miss, if you pick your oranges right, the fruit fulfills all expectations. I myself ate some 4 mangos yesterday and saved the last one for today. Let me tell you - it was DEFINITELY worth the wait. I'd have to say the first mango of the bunch that I ate yesterday was THE BEST mango I've ever had. By a landslide.

On an average day, I pride myself on consuming some 8 - 12 or more oranges, bananas, and mangoes. I know my bowels thank me :]

No comments:

Post a Comment